Sunday, August 15, 2010

Good Food



We started the week kind of frazzled and disorganized. We managed to get things back together and make some good meals this weekend.

Yesterday evening we BBQ'd some steaks on the grill. It was super hot here and so the grill was a good call. We bought some green beans. I topped and tailed them, put them in tin foil with a generous drizzle of olive oil and sprinkled some McCormick French Herb Roasting Rub on them, sealed up the package and had Mr. C. throw it on the grill. I also made a foil packet of cherry tomatoes picked fresh from my garden. Drizzled some olive oil, threw in some chopped garlic, added some balsamic vinegar and then closed the packet. Both veggies turned out really well. I also made a quick cheese sauce with heavy cream, garlic, and some finely grated provolone cheese for the tomatoes. I love the contrast between the acidic tomatoes and the creamy sauce. Yum!

Tonight we decided to make a stir fry. I lifted it from Martha S. - but, as always, I changed it up a bit. I added some cashews, increased the soy sauce to a little more than 1/4 cup. Added some water to reduce the saltiness of the soy. I also added some fish sauce, since I love the deep flavor it provides to a stir fry. In the end the sauce was a little thin, so I thickened it with a bit of corn starch in cold water. It bubbled up nicely. Served it over some jasmine rice. Here's the recipe:

Chicken with Ginger

1 three-inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch matchstick sized (1/2 cup)
2 T. canola oil
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T. white vinegar
2 T. sugar
1/2 cup sliced scallions

Soak ginger in cold water for 10 minutes, drain
Heat oil in skillet over high heat; brown chicken in two batches (6-8 minutes) set aside.
In same skillet over medium heat, cook ginger, onion, and garlic, stirring until browned, 8-10 minutes. Add soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar; cook over high heat until thick, 3-4 minutes. Add chicken, stir to warm. Remove from heat; stir in scallions.


No comments: