Friday, January 14, 2011

Watch out!

I posted earlier about favorite childhood books. It kind of inspired me to keep going with the books from adolescence.

When I was 18, I moved away from home and lived in an apartment with two close friends. It was one of those, "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times" kind of situations. We were, like I said, 18. We were all living away from home for the first time. There we were, a Mormon girl, a Catholic girl, a Seventh-day Adventist girl. There were many, many great discussions. We were that age when we were discovering who we were. We did a lot of truly stupid things. But we did have some wonderful times as well.

My Seventh-day Adventist friend, knowing I loved to read, suggested I read books by Chaim Potok. He wrote, in the main, novels about being Jewish. I had never really encountered anything about Jewish people. Well, outside the scriptures. There was a synagogue a few blocks away from my house when I was in high school. But since moving to the town where we lived (which has a small temple that looks more like a dentist's office) I hadn't really given it much thought. So I remember what a eye-opening thing it was to read Chaim's novels. What a wonderful way to be introduced to a faith, a way of life I had no inkling of.

My Name is Asher Lev is about a boy who grows up in a Hasidic community, his father is very pious and dedicated to their Rabbi. Asher is artistic, something his father cannot understand nor reconcile himself to. Asher leads a very insular life, not only because of his faith, but also due to his gift. In the end, he faces a painful choice - to either continue his life without his art, or to follow his gift.

This book alone awakened in me an interest in Jewish life that remains strong to this day. Just last night I was sitting on the couch wondering if all fruits and vegetables are kosher. An hour later I was still reading about dietary laws and looking at the Orthodox Union's website. It is truly fascinating to me.

Mr. Potok wrote several other books including, The Gift of Asher Lev, The Chosen, and Davita's Harp.



No comments: