I have to admit, I am not a huge fan of American television. Or rather, I'm not a huge fan of American television comedies. They tend to be a bit predictable and, well, boring. The stuff from Britain is much more interesting. Their shows tend to have several story lines running at the same time. And there seem to be unexpected twists and turns that you'd never (or rarely) find in our comedy shows. Here are a few of my faves.
The Vicar of Dibley - All about a female vicar (Dawn French) who moves to a small, backward town. Initially the townspeople do not want a woman vicar, much less a sassy, outspoken one.
Clatterford - (or in Britain, Jam and Jerusalem) is a great show about another small backward (hey - a theme is developing here) town. The main character is a middle aged woman who loses her husband and faces challenges with her grown children and the Ladies Guild of her local church. Dawn French stars as a schizophrenic woman named Rosie. After watching The Vicar of Dibley I was prepared not to like this show, but I did and I do. I realized that there was room in my heart for more than one British comedy.
The IT Crowd - Hilarious show about the three people in the IT Department of a large company. Typical capers, but with an English twist. This was actually C.'s favorite before it was mine, so he deserves the credit.
Doc Martin - A brilliant London surgeon develops a blood phobia. He decides to retrain as a GP and moves back to a small fishing village in Cornwall he used to visit as a child. The village is full of interesting people (even an attractive local headmistress). The doctor's bedside manner is appalling. Hilarity ensues - it would have to, wouldn't it?
There you go. A few of my favorite ways to waste an hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment