Friday, January 14, 2011

Glorious Friday!

It is here. Friday. Thank goodness. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am.

I'm looking forward to reading some Ramona books with S. My own old copies with my childhood phone number scrawled in the front covers.

I still have, and read, my childhood favorites. I go through them about once a year. I loved these books so much as a child that I still keep them around, and enjoy them.

The Ramona Quimby series, by Beverly Cleary

The Anne of Green Gables series, by L.M. Montgomery

Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself, by Judy Blume

The Little House books, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

It is like meeting old friends to pull these books out and delve into the familiar stories. I do enjoy them so. Maybe it is some latent longing for my childhood, when I would curl up on my top bunk on a rainy day, and be whisked away into another world for a time. I don't think you're ever too old, or too sophisticated to enjoy a book you have always loved.

Having access to an elementary school library on a daily basis doesn't hurt, either.

Here's to curling up with a good book from your past!




1 comment:

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

Oh I so relate to this. Nothing I like more to this day than curling up with a good book. I saw the Henry Huggins series in the Scholastic book order yesterday and I am seriously tempted to buy it for my boys. Also, you ended up with the Beverly Cleary books, but I ended up with the Little House books.I'm so excited to start reading those to them. I also just pulled my whole series of "Anne" books and can't wait til Ady is old enough to get them.