
There is really nothing better than spending a rainy afternoon with your child playing board games. Or rather, un-board games. S. and I played a few rounds of Connect 4, before we moved on to a rousing game of Pick-Up-Sticks. We love Pick-Up-Sticks - it is the perfect opportunity to remind S. that I was the undisputed Pick-Up-Stick Campion of the 3rd Grade. It is true. I rarely was top dog at any type of game, mostly because I was so uncoordinated, I could fall off a chair just sitting in it during dinner. And anything requiring a ball or any sort of equipment was out of the question, since I would undoubtedly injure myself or others in the process of game play. It was nice to be the champ of something besides, "finishing your seatwork first" or "dictionary chase". I was what you would call - a nerd. A big one. The kind of kid who would check out the biggest book in the library and cripple myself hauling it home to read. If my legs had been any skinnier, my argyle socks would have not stayed up on my legs. The only thing missing was the glasses, I didn't acquire those until I was a teenager and had swapped books for boys. I'm glad S. leaves room in her life for something besides trying to beat everyone in one-minute-timed tests. And, to be perfectly honest, she is a much better Pick-Up-Sticks player than I am. All that without argyle socks.
No comments:
Post a Comment