Saturday, October 30, 2010

Things I overhear . . .

I am blessed. Every day I get to hear something funny. Not everyone gets that in their life. I was always jealous of my sister who owns a day-care because she said the kids always said funny things. Now I get a taste of that, too! Kids are so creative, and even when they come from not-so-nice homes - they are pure at heart. I don't believe that kids really have the capacity to be evil or truly mean. They simply do what they've seen. I am truly blessed to go to a place each weekday where I get to be with 300+ sweet little souls. Even when they are naughty, I cannot help but love them for their strength, resilience, creativity, curious natures, and their senses of humor. I was never much of a kid person, but perhaps one of the biggest blessings that has come with me returning to work (and working in the place I do) is that I have come to enjoy the company of children. It far outpaces the monetary gains, the companionship of co-workers, and the satisfaction of doing a job. If I ever put one of the above higher on my list, a child is sure to run full-tilt-boogie down the hall and engulf me in a knock-me-off balance leg hug. Then they wipe their runny nose on my pants - but that I consider a job hazard.

I love to listen to their little voices. Especially when they are having conversations that they don't edit because a grown-up is listening. A few cases from this week . . .

"Yeah, my Hawoween costume had a wittle jacket that went wif it. I fowgot it at howme. I think if I pull my wig down it will cowver the tiny wittle straps. I don't want to get sent howme - not on Hawoween!"

Or this one. Kid in headphones, so they think that if they can't hear what is going on around them, other people can't hear them. . .

"Aaaaaaaaaaa, Bbbbbbbb, Ccccccccccc, Ddddddddd, Eeeeeeee, Ffffffff, Ggggggggg . . ." You get the picture. Top volume singing of the ABC's is just another daily thing. The best is if they're following along to the one song on the computers where it plays the ABC song in a jazzy kind of way. Then they sound like a bunch of jazz singers who are back in school for English remediation.

"It IS my turn on the swings, look, teacher is right over there. If I tell her, she will make you get off and tell you it is my turn. She will know it is my turn, she knows how it works."

"Awwwwriiight! It is Nacho Day! Don'tcha just loooove Nacho Day? Excewpt they kina give me the buwps."

Enough said.








1 comment:

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

You are SOOO lucky. It's one of my favorite things about kids- the funny little things they say. I love listening to my own kids when they don't know I'm listening.

My all time favorite was when I was helping in K. class a couple of years ago. His teacher was reading a story and I was across the room working on some paperwork for her. She comes across the word "Tug". One little boy pipes up and says, "Teacher, what does tug mean?" She responds with what it means and then the example "Like if you tug on your hair." And proceeds to do it to her own hair to show what she means. He responds with, "Oh I know what that is, my Dad does that to my mom's hair all the time when they are fighting!" I wanted to die as it was said in such a happy tone that he knew what the word meant and in such an innocent way that he saw nothing wrong with what he had just described. The teacher moved on, but both of us nearly fell over it was so unexpected!:)