Monday, November 1, 2010

Some things

I am in a mood this afternoon.

Perhaps it was the three phone calls within a 15 minute time frame from a certain political campaign - urging me to vote for a certain candidate for Senate. And that was just in the last 15 minutes. For the past two weeks I've fielded phone calls from candidates, wives of candidates, friends of candidates, enemies of candidates. All pre-recorded. I finally had enough and spent my own money to phone long distance to a campaign headquarters to tell them to remove my name from their lists. We'll see if it happens. I doubt it. You know what would be really great? If the candidate actually called after election. In person. Just to say, "hello" or "what can I do for you during my term in office?" You know, something friendly. Because they surely won't - I feel I am under no obligation to be nice to them, or even vote for them.

Or then again, it could have been the email exchange I had to the school counselor at S.'s school. S. needs help in math. And I'd heard of a tutoring program. The caveat? That she must also qualify for free or reduced lunch in order to receive services. The counselor (blindly) asked for my opinion once I perused the pertinent brochure (handily available on-line for once) and I did not shy away from telling her. I consider our family fortunate. But if we are truly following this "No Child Left Behind" - then why are you leaving my child behind? Why are you excluding her? Your school failed to help her make progress in a certain area, what are you going to do to fix your boo-boo? It would seem you wouldn't deny my child based on economic grounds? Because if you did that in the reverse case, that would be very bad. So bad, in fact, that we'd have to make some law or rule about it. It is called discrimination, and whichever way it may happen to fall, whichever side of the bank account - it is still discrimination. I told her so. I also welcomed her to send along my comments to those who might benefit or make policy. I also took the opportunity to (rhetorically) ask her where the programs were for hard-working people who might just need a little help? I fully understand that I have one child, we are beyond lucky to have everything we need and a great deal of what we want, but to pay extra for tutoring would impact our finances. I wanted to get that out there - in the interest of full disclosure.

Or it could have been even earlier - at lunch. I forgot to pack anything and I sure as shootin' was not eating anything from the cafeteria. So I went to the local grocery store to buy myself a frozen dinner. Hey, they're cheap. And my question is - why do the elderly need to shop during the lunch hour? Why do women send men to the store at the same time. And yes, I realize this might count as a discriminatory comment, but, for the love of all that is good and holy - there are people like me, who only get a 30 minute break for lunch. We would kindly appreciate that if you do have unlimited time on your hands - please do not clog up the grocery lines with your check writing - or the "oh I think I'll just stand here and balance my check-book while I'm at it". The smile pasted on my face doesn't mean that it is ok. It means I am one second away from screaming bloody-murder and placing a plastic bag over your head while chanting lyrics from a Black Sabbath song. Really. And men, the grocery store is nothing new. They've been around FOR A LONG TIME. Yes, you must learn to yield to oncoming carts. You also need to stop gawking around like ready-made iced tea was just put on the market. Hint: if you see a woman coming toward you with anything less than a cheerful face - it means she has work to do. Do not get in her way. Move your cart. Move it quickly. With a hearty "yes m'am if you're smart. Do not block the entire aisle. Do not ask her any questions about where to find such-and-such. She doesn't care. She (rightly) thinks that if you managed to pull your own pants on, navigate a 4,000 lb. vehicle through mid-day traffic, and breathe at the same time - that you must be capable of getting the few items your wife has (stupidly) sent you to the store to buy.

Okay - any questions? No? I thought not.

No comments: