Sunday, October 24, 2010

Laundry

I hate laundry. I hate sorting it, folding it, putting it away - mostly putting it away. It is one of those things I must force myself to do.

If I were to win the lottery the first thing I would do, even before buying my mom a house, would be to hire someone to deal with the laundry. I know a former co-worker with three kids and a busy teaching schedule who allows herself the luxury of a laundry lady. And, while I wouldn't ever do that, I like to imagine how great it would be.

My biggest complaint since returning to work has been the laundry. Sorting it, folding it - oh wait, I already said that.

My husband, although a great help in many areas, is not in this one. So each week there is a fair amount of yelling on my part about laundry. And it doesn't matter how assiduously I avoid it, my husband has adopted the same strategy. And he's much better at it. Most men are. They can shut some part of their brains off. Even if there was mold growing on the floor, six inches of dog hair laying on the stovetop, dirt encrusting the bathtub, or noxious fumes issuing from unwashed toilets, they could still manage to sit down and play a video game, or watch their weekly TV show without the mid-crushing guilt that most women would feel. It is something in their genetic make-up - and I'm terrifically jealous.

We started the weekend with a large amount of laundry. I had meetings after school several days this week. Top that off with an evening at a birthday party, and we had one heck of a pile going. Then I (stupidly) agreed to a shopping excursion to the nearest (decent) mall. That took all day. A day in which I could have been tackling the laundry. Lest you think I'm an idiot, I did extract a promise from S. & C. to help me on Sunday (that's today) with catching up on the laundry. It hasn't happened. I have been keeping track. And, as the day has worn down, neither of my housemates have folded one stitch of clothing. They have not begun, sorted, rotated, or removed from the dryer, one single solitary load.

I think it is time to re-evaluate things here. I think maybe I'll just wash my own clothes and leave theirs in the hamper.




2 comments:

Curtis said...

No, you won't. We just aren't programmed that way in our family. By the way, could you start playing the lottery soon? I could use a house AND a laundry lady. Love, Mom

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

See now laundry isn't my nemesis- that wold be the bathrooms or dusting- hate the fact that I can dust and come back an hour later and it'll just look dusty again(thanks dry UT) and bathrooms- well I have 3 boys, isn't that enough said? In fact I'm a little bit of a laundry control freak here at our house. However, I will agree on not loving putting it away- that is my least favorite part.