Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The obligatory garden post

I love my garden. But this year my heart hasn't been in it like year's past. I think it was because I had to move things around, it threw me off. And we've had an unusually rainy spring. Everything has been late. The tomatoes finally look like they're happy. It was just too cold and rainy for them. Now that we've had a little sun - they might just produce some fruit. The apple trees are plugging away. I've got a fair number of apples on the two trees we planted. The pear that C. girdled while weed eating is a poor specimen indeed. I'll leave it for now, but I might have to rip it out. The plum didn't do anything. It has leaves, so it is better off than the pear tree. My raspberries - oh what a headache! One died completely. I tore it out. And another two have these terrible yellow leaves and look like they're going to kick the bucket any day. That leaves three which seem to be ok (for now) and I'm crossing my fingers that whatever was getting the others doesn't get to them as well. Of course the dog was sitting on them before we constructed a cage of sorts. But they seemed to do well after that and then a week or two ago began to decline. This is harrowing on the soul I tell you!



Not sure what this is.
Granny Smith apples!
My other apples.
Cherry tomatoes.
Volunteer pumpkin.

1 comment:

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

All the stuff you have coming in looks great! Almost motivates me to want a garden- wait I'm too lazy. I'll just admire yours from afar and feel inspired that someday my apple trees will hopefully look like yours!