We stayed at the Warwick hotel. On the 8th floor. It was ok. Of course the pictures on the web showed these gorgeous rooms with queen beds and jetted tubs. What we got was what appeared to be double beds and no jetted tub. And the picture of the pool in the basement made it look deceptively large. But S. had a great time. We must have chosen the right place to stay because there were kids galore in that pool. We even saw a car with WW license plate frames. Weird, no?
Here's the rundown.
1st day - get there exhausted. We walked down the the market - it was closing for the day. But it was still beautiful and busy and cool. Decide to go down the 11,000 flights of stairs to the piers. C. had been wanting to go to this place called The Crab Pot, and we were surprised to find it very close to the place we ended up. So we went for it. They dump a load of seafood right on your table. I ate mussels for the first time. Quite good, actually.
2nd day - wake up and go to Top Pot Donuts. The building was amazingly cool. Bookshelves up to the ceiling. It must have been an old library or something. Great donuts. Ride the monorail from Westlake Center to Seattle Center. Buy our City Passes. Expensive but worth it. They allowed us to do just about everything you'd want to do in Seattle. We headed to the Experience Music Project. Really great. Next we went up in the Space Needle - again, city pass. I do not even want to know how much a ride up really costs. S. loved the view. I gazed around and thought about my Grandpa K. - how he lived in Seattle as a boy and how much things must have changed. Heck, the city has changed immensely since I had been there as a child. I can only imagine what it looked like when Grandpa was a little boy. Exit the needle right into the gift shop. Yikes! Run over to the food court. Mistake! There were about 10 bouncy things in there. As in bouncy house, bouncy pirate ship, etc... The good thing is that it was free that day. And S. still had energy. I wish her parents had. We sat and stared in silence as our child bounced her way around that place. We were wondering if we should have eaten Wheaties instead of Top Pot donuts for breakfast. We made it back to Westlake and C. suggested we eat in the food court. I was mad - but too tired to fight it.
Day 3 - Up again, walk down to Pike. Why didn't we drive? Oh well, the walking was good for us. Again down the 11,000 steps to the piers. Into the aquarium. Thank you City Passes. The best part about those is that you get to avoid the long lines and just walk up to the ticket taker. Fabulous. The aquarium was really great. S. fell in love with the otters. I vaguely remember visiting the aquarium when I was small. But I could be wrong. Not sure when the place was built. I have a lot of Seattle memories, but I was so small - I could be off base about everything. Left the aquarium and went to Ivar's on the pier. Stuffed our faces with fried seafood. Ran into one of S.'s classmates and his mom. It always happens. Back up the hill. Back onto the monorail to the Science Center. It is huge. Almost too much to take in. The highlight was the butterfly house. Truly amazing. There are no kid friendly restaurants in Belltown. Major disappointment.
Day 4 - time to go home. We take a wrong turn leaving Seattle and end up driving to Portland. Which wasn't a bad thing. There was snow in the pass, they closed it twice that morning and we had no chains, we would have been in deep doo-doo. I was super scared about the pass, but felt better at once when I realized we were headed to PDX. Poor C., he was pooped. But he drove us 8 hours home. Love that guy.
Home. So good to be home.
No comments:
Post a Comment