Here's the story.
There is a lady whose grandkids attend the school where I work. She yelled at me last year. I was trying to make sure she signed one of her grandkids out. I felt so bad. She was late for an appointment. And I cannot imagine what it would be like to think that you had hit the age in life where you think you are responsible only for yourself and then wham, you're raising 3 grandkids. Grandkids who have issues. Grandkids who demand your time and attention and patience. I also happen to know that this lady works nights, as a housekeeper. Also, something I cannot fathom. I know her support system is very limited. The thing is, she and I have struck up a kind of acquaintance, in passing, both in the morning when she drops the kids off and in the afternoon when she picks them up. I have no idea when she sleeps. Or manages to do anything for herself. It has really been bothering me lately. I try my best to sympathize with her when she's clearly having a bad day. I have even slyly told her grandkids to go easy on their grandma because she loves them and does so much for them. I smile and talk to her politely. In short, I just want to encourage her and let her know that I admire her strength and selflessness. But I would like to do something nice for her. I would like to send her flowers, anonymously (of course) just to make her day. I know I feel like flowers are few and far between and I have so many people who love and support me - I imagine flowers are non-existent in this lady's life. I'll bet it never occurs to anyone how much she sacrifices to raise those kids.
So my question, do you think this is appropriate? I think of this and the hymn, "Have I Done Any Good" just echos and echos in my brain. Should I just say "hang appropriate" and go ahead? Or should I just not do it?
1 comment:
I say do it! Especially if it's annonymous. Who doesn't love flowers? And who doesn't need to be lifted up now and again,especially when we suffer in silence and feel as if nobody even notices any of the good we are trying are darndest to do. Include a note saying how impressed you are by her and all she does and how you appreciate all her hard work trying to make this world and those kids better. You may never know how you impact her and her little world. I ignore that prompting all too often and wish I listened to it more. So you inspire me to do better.
Post a Comment