
I have officially had it. With homework. Not my homework. S.'s homework. We are sitting here watching her write her 15 sentences for her 15 spelling words. Which makes no sense by the way, she isn't going to learn to spell this way. And her vocabulary is quite admirable for someone her age, thank you very much. The child explained to me what a nemesis is for crying out loud. I don't think she's going to have much trouble with the word joyful. You see, every week - on Friday, we get a homework packet. It is due the following Thursday. The packet includes a couple of math pages, some english, and the dreaded, the awful, the mind numbing - sentences. Even the principal at my school - whose daughter is in the same grade in the other third grade class at S.'s school - says they are completely pointless. And I believe her - she taught grade school and middle school, has been an assistant principal and now she's a principal - so she knows her stuff. So we're up against a wall with this homework stuff - being as it is Thursday in just a little over 4 hours and homework is due in exactly 12 hours. It is moments like these that I suggest that S. write very short sentences (not encouraged by the teacher mind you) but it is nearing critical mass - or as we like to call it - bedtime, and I want some peace around here. Oh, did I say that? I also suggest that she tell her teacher the following: "You are my nemesis and apparently you enjoy making my life miserable, so I would appreciate it if you would let me off the hook with this sentence writing stuff." She said she would get expelled, but I told her I'd hold her hand while she does it. And then we would run, really fast out of the building - far away from our nemesis.
by the way, I just checked and Nemesis is a mythological goddess. I just had no idea. I guess there is one benefit to homework - I learn something.
1 comment:
I forgot to mention that this past Friday KSL did a story on Nie Nie. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. But I thought I would pass that on. I would think you could see it on their website if you are interested.
Post a Comment