Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Confessions


Do you ever feel like you may be losing your grip on reality? I'm going to admit something here: I never memorized the presidents of the United States. I know the states, (in alphabetical order) still remember most state capitals, and I know that the state bird of Louisiana is the brown pelican, but I never sat down and memorized the presidents. Yeah, I'm a slacker, I know. So, twice in the same week, I was hit by the fact that we had a president Arthur. What???? Where did that come from? I had no idea. I picture myself on a quiz show, receiving the question, "Who was the president of the U.S. from 1881-1885?" And I stand there, not knowing, a crease in my brow, drool pooling around my mouth. I'm sorry, but this doesn't even ring a faint bell for me. The words, president Arthur, just seem wrong to me. I just had no idea. I know, at some point, I will shake denial from my mind and learn to accept this, but I'm still wondering if I've somehow entered a parallel universe, where almost everything is the same, except for one small moment in history where we had a president named Chester Alan Arthur. Could they just carve the fellow into Mt. Rushmore - you know, as a reminder?

1 comment:

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

Ok- so I feel like I have an okay grip on History- at least American. I even watch those A&E specials where they cover a couple of presidents an episode and I too did not know this one.I guess I'll just add it to the ever growing list of stuff I don't know.