Thursday, April 11, 2013

For the love of art


I've always loved art. Loved looking at it. Loved trying to make it. All through my school years, whenever anyone asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always said, "an artist". The whole world of art fascinated me. Problem was, I wasn't really all that good at it. I've tried to not let that deter me. I still like to create things. I try to just let the process feed my soul in some way. Yes, it is frustrating when my lack of ability outweighs what I have inside my head. But I think we, as humans, are born with something in them that needs to be creative - in some way. Whether you carve wood, or paint, or sculpt. If you care for a garden, write stories, or just like to go and sit in a museum and soak in other artist's works. It is what makes being human worth it sometimes.

So, when my child goes quiet in her room for a half hour and then emerges with the picture above, I could nearly weep with joy. It makes me proud that she feels the need to create. It is why I let her into any of my craft supplies at any time. I'm so impressed by the things she makes, draws, writes. She is a unique girl, with natural talent for the creative process. She is an artist at heart and that makes me glad.

1 comment:

mamagrizzly said...

This is wonderful. Love that Sophie girl. You have always been talented and creative Tara. Love you. Mom