Last game of the soccer season today. Can you hear the angels singing? Did the heavens open up and let out brilliant rays of light and the tinkling of harp music? No? That was just my own reverie? Sorry. Hope you understand.
After soccer, we went to to our favorite local used bookstore. We rummaged around and found some reading material. It was a bit overcast and was sprinkling rain, so it was definitely a day to hit the bookstores.
And then we came home. And I realized we have a problem around these parts. We already have a surfeit of books. I strolled through the house doing a little cleaning, and whoa - this is where I found books:
In the bathroom. I know that's kind of gross to some folks, but we here at Chez Fish are guilty of reading in the bathroom.
In the kitchen. Yep. Somehow they end up face down on the counters. Not sure why, but they do.
In the living room. This might make more sense, except we mostly read in bed, so this must just be a pit stop.
In the mud room/ laundry room. C. leaves his books on the washing machine on his way in or out the back door. He takes books to work to read during his breaks, so I guess this makes sense. Until I need to move a giant stack of sci-fi off the washer to get laundry done.
On the floor. Bibliophiles may cringe. But yes, we sometimes put books on the floor. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped and nearly went sailing whilst carrying a basket of laundry around. Too many to keep putting books on the floor, but there we are.
Outside. S. reads in her fort. I read on the back steps. C. reads in the side yard. So sometimes books end up staying out there. And yes, we've had a more than a few rain/sprinkler incidents.
In the cars. I always am ambitious and think I'll get reading done during my lunchtime at work. This rarely happens. Turns out there are just too many people running in and out of the staff room to get much reading done. I try reading at soccer practices, but am guilty of just staring off into space much of the time. It isn't often that grown-ups get to daydream or contemplate their navels, so I forgive myself just a little. But when it looks like I'm a moving company for a bookseller, I know it must be time to cart them inside and try to fit them back onto shelves.
Tearing down bookshelves. I found C. in the spare room (where we built proper bookshelves for our collections) the other night in what looked like a stick-up. Meaning he had his arms in the air, his feet at shoulder width apart, and I would have sworn that he was "reaching for the sky" except he was trying to keep a shelf (a seriously over-laden shelf) from coming off the wall. It was properly anchored with drywall screws and into the studs and everything, but still had to be relieved of its load of reading material - the nerve.
Turns out there may be such a thing as too many books.
2 comments:
Too many books? C'est impossible. So many books, so little time. I take a book with me wherever I go. Keeps my blood pressure down and slows me down when I think I am in a hurry. There is no such thing as being held up, it is just extra reading time!!! I even take my book into the Chinese restaurant that I get to have lunch in every other Wednesday and read while I shovel it in. See I CAN do two things at once. With regard to the soccer issue. I did think I heard some angelic singing yesterday. I am so glad but good job Sophie for sticking it out. Hope you get a new coach next year. Love, Mom
Bite your tongue young lady! Never is there such a thing as too many books. And I for one appreciate that you have them conveniently placed in the guest room. I may or may not have snuck a few pages in before bed when I was there.....
Post a Comment