Monday, August 27, 2012

Not Good at Change

Another thing I need to work on is change. I'm not good at it. I like comfortable too much. Every year this happens, a lot of it. My work day looks different, this year my classroom is different, and even S.'s schedule and sports and everything - yep - different. I had some particularly bad news today, after a weekend filled with bad news, and it nearly sent me over the edge. I know, I know, it isn't the end of the world, I just need a few days to come to grips with it. But I'm tired and cranky, and darn it! Someone moved my cheese! I need a couple days of mourning. I'll bounce back. 

And speaking of, I'm going to bring about some change my own self. It has been a long summer. Everyone else in the house seems to get front burner, so you can guess where that leaves me? I've had one two-hour bit of time alone out of the house all summer, and, well, mama ain't happy. So what to do? Well, I'll tell ya. Throw a grenade into the middle of your day. Do it. I'm feeling better already. Text your husband and say the following:

"I'm not taking kiddo to soccer practice today OR tomorrow. I'm cranky and tired. I'm going to fix dinner and then I am leaving the house with my sister and going to look at a junk shop a friend of mine is running." 

And if he complains, which he didn't but I was all prepared just in case he did, tell him that you don't care, you're going anyway, life will not end, junk waits for no man (or woman) and you miss your sister, and you're going even if the heavens part and some old dude with a white flowing beard says he commands you not to. 

Maybe that last part was a little overkill. But, if you're a mom or have been one, you'll know that there just comes a point where you can take not one more thing or you'll run screaming from the house. 

So, change? Yeah, change and I are getting acquainted again.

No comments: