Friday, August 24, 2012

Something to work on

I have a bad habit. Actually, I have a lot of bad habits, but this one may get me in more trouble in the short run than any single other thing I do, or don't do as the case may be.

I have a really difficult time looking at the big picture. I tend to look at things microscopically rather than globally, and it can get me into trouble. Sometimes big trouble. Usually though, it just leaves me wincing over something I've said or done at 2:30 am, which is not so much anyone else's trouble - unless you tangle with me on a day following when the lack of sleep has caused me to go wonky.

I began noticing this problem when I began working again. No longer was it just an issue the results of which I'd only have to correct with my family and friends - who are waaay too forgiving sometimes, but it could impact other people. People I do or did not know well, kids at school. It got ugly at times. It usually manifested itself in me sending an off-the-cuff email which I hadn't thought through, or telling someone something when I didn't have all the facts or background knowledge sufficient enough to be telling them anything. 

This is the year I'm going to try my hardest to really listen, to digest, to give things time to gel before flying off the handle and making an idiot of myself. It is really hard. I feel, with the myriad responsibilities I have in my job world, that I need to be "right on top of an issue", but it really is not always best. Sometimes it helps to wait. Aspetta as the Italians say it. 

I'm usually the most awful person at self reflection, until 2:30 am and then I'm really good at it. But this year I'm going to try and change that. What is the saying? Knowing is half the battle.

No comments: