Monday, July 9, 2012

Chin Up!

Sometimes I just feel compelled to write about someone in my life. Last week was not the best for that, and I took down the post I'd written. Enough to have said my piece and have it out in the universe for an hour. After that, it was just an embarrassing tirade that served little purpose.


But today is different. I wanted to write something about someone in my life that wasn't negative or I'd be ashamed of and have to take down.


My little sister, A. is a wonder but she was having a hard day today. And it broke my heart. I wanted to get into the car and drive to Utah to give her a hug and help her out. She's doing a million different things this summer. Getting ready for a major church function. She's had people bag out on her, her husband is out of town on business, her kids are out of school, it is hotter than Hades in Utah right now. If anyone deserved the right to complain, it would be her. And she did, but only a little. I would have been a snotty, tear-stained puddle on the floor if I were dealing with 1/4 of the stuff she's tackling, and I considered that she held it in such tight rein, to be a further indicator of her character.


If you know my sister, you know that she is organized, capable, loving, the very best mom you could ever meet, a good wife, dependable, hilarious, extremely smart, sometimes a little sarcastic, an excellent sibling,and talented. There seems to be nothing she can't do, or tackle, or figure out. I used to worry, her living so far away, but I've watched (albeit from a distance) her grow from a college girl to wife to mother to church leader, and those worries were completely unfounded. She is a toughie. I just wish I lived closer, because even a toughie needs a hug now and again.


So, sis, I love you. I miss you. I'm extremely proud of who you are and what you accomplish. Hang in there. 

1 comment:

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

Thank you. Although you just made me cry again.:) Sometimes the mean is easier to take than the nice. I don't know what I would do without my sisters. You are always so protective and it is such a comfort to know that no matter what and no matter how far away, you always have my back, want good things for me, will get defensive on my behalf, love my children and my hubby, will cry and laugh with me and understand me even when I'm being a tad crazy or irrational. I don't think I've ever had someone write such nice things. I am truly touched. I love you!