Friday, July 27, 2012

Zee Beach

Feet first hit the sand. They can't wait to get into the water. Which was about 32 degrees - below zero. My feet were aching after only a minute or two. Even the die-hards, C. and S. were hopping around like they couldn't wait to get out of the water. Either it warmed up, or we acclimated because we were ok the rest of the trip.

S. swings on the ship's rail thingy outside the beach house. It is part of her tradition. There were two new additions to the house when we arrived this year. A new 2nd bathroom - yay! And a new couch in the living room. Both welcome. 
Beautiful weather most days. 70 degrees plus. This is the view from the beach house. Pretty darned nice, if you ask me. Finally, finally I got through to C. and we spent an entire day on our own beach. We set up chairs, a sunshade, and just relaxed without running up and down the coast to tourist traps. We didn't even stop at Depoe Bay this year. C. must be mellowing in his old age. 

S. and C. clowning around at Nye Beach, Newport. This is the seawall there. We somehow had never been to Nye before last year. It is a nice place. C. actually likes Newport and its waterfront, but S. and I think it is too stinky to bear for a whole week. 

Sea Star wrapped around an unfortunate anemone. These are on the tidal rocks on the beach in front of the house.  S. and I have to get up pretty early (vacation time)to be able to get to these rocks at low tide. It fell between 6:00 am and 8:00 am the week we were there. 

S. taking a closer look. She and I treasure our morning walks. It is quiet and we like to be able to explore and spend time together when it is quiet. Don't be fooled by the quirky look, she's in her element, that girl. 

S. and C. on their annual climb up the rock at Fogarty Creek. It scares the poo out of me, but I have to trust that they won't come flying off that thing. 

S. examining rocks at Beverly Beach. Both C. and I have been there but not S., so this year we made a point of stopping. 

S. at the Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center. We try to alternate this with the Newport Aquarium. 

S. and C. swimming at Siletz Bay. C. has always wanted to go out at low tide to the spit of sand you see in the background. This year he did - along with his trusty sidekick. I also got the worst sunburn of my life on my legs this day. Go figure. I live where it routinely reaches 100 degrees, and I never tan, but I go back to my roots and get a whopper of a sunburn on my legs - and they're tanning up nicely. 

1 comment:

Curtis said...

Looks like you had a great trip. I love Sophies hat. Reminds me of pictures of you in your Big Bird hat Tara. Glad you had such a good time.Love,
Mom