Salad Rolls
C. has been on a major kick for these right now. And because I think I should be able to just whip up most anything that a restaurant serves, I tried my hand at them. Most of the time, I'm right; you can cook most anything a restaurant serves. Sometimes I just can't, I don't have the skills or the equipment (think really good pizza - a home oven just isn't hot enough, and fine French food should be a treat, not something you labor through trying to cook just to prove a point). These were easy, though. Rice wrappers, rice noodles, carrots, cucumber, cilantro (oh, excuse me, coriander), basil, some spinach, shrimps. Peanut sauce is: peanut butter, hoisin sauce, sugar water, fish sauce, Rooster sauce (I love this stuff, by the way, the hotter the better), water. C. was in hog heaven. I made him eat one at 10:30 am after I made the first two. And we had them with dinner tonight, the rest of which was not an unqualified success, in the interest of full disclosure. But hey, one dish out of three isn't bad in my book. And it is fun to conquer a recipe, try something new, cook (although nothing in this recipe is cooked - except the precooked shrimps, by the way) from a cuisine that does things much differently than meatloaf and mashed potatoes - although those are good, too!

No comments:
Post a Comment