Sunday, April 1, 2012

More nostalgia

There used to be a great little deli here in our town. The service was slow, the wood floors uneven and gritty, the baguettes and sour-dough mini loaves were perfect to have sliced and order with a side of havarti. The waitstaff yelled at you when you failed to bus your own table, there was the ubiquitous Allen with his eye patch shouting that "this isn't fast food you know" when an unsuspecting out-of-towner complained about the wait, and they closed promptly at 4:46 pm on Saturdays. And, like many good things, it is now gone. Sold a couple of years ago to a snooty wanna-be rich owner who gutted the place and turned it into my worst nightmare: a semi-casual place where the waitstaff make you feel uncomfortable and the food isn't decent. I don't know about you, but if I want to be made feel uncomfortable by a high-schooler working their first job, I'll go to McDonald's. Anyway, the old place also sold the most wonderful coconut macaroons - not Parisian Macarons. I found a good jumping off point for a recipe here (minus the Nutella and Easter candy) and will continue to futz around with these until I get as close as I can to the original. If you like coconut, these are the simplest thing ever. Just dump the ingredients in a bowl, stir, plop onto parchment-lined cookie sheets, and bake. Next time I will use regular sweetened coconut (I bought unsweetened this time because the sweetened had so much extra garbage in it to keep it from clumping) and maybe add an extra egg white. I also did add about 1/2 tsp. of almond extract because it is really tasty in coconut dishes.

1 comment:

Curtis said...

Aperfect description! These look wonderful. No butter! HaHa!