Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Funny Things

Oh, man! I am so tired this week. I'm not sure why, unless it is waking up nearly every morning at 3:30 and worrying about things. That could do it. Maybe it is the weather, I don't know.


As the school year winds down, I have much work to do to prepare things for next year. It is a long a involved process. Mostly to do with room changes and computers. I am excited to get it done because I think it will yield a better over-all set up for next year. But it is daunting. I hope I can make it through without losing my mind. But I digress, I am also enjoying the little kids I get to help this year. We've had an interesting crop of kindergartners. I worry about the world in about 15 or 20 years with these kids becoming adults. Here is a sampling:


I was playing "sight word" BINGO with some kinders today. I let them read the word and then gave them a sentence so they could hear the word in context. I showed them the word "by". And my sentence was, "I want to sit by Becky." Becky it a cutie patootie of whom I'm never very sure where her mind is. But she has the cutest little laugh and bright sparkly eyes. And Becky says, "You want to sit by me? You apparently like my new striped tights." Now I had not noticed her new striped tights, but her use of the word "apparently" made my day.


The other day one of the kindergarten teachers told me that one of our students was back from being absent for a day. This child is extremely precocious, and we teachers and the principal always enjoy sharing a good  "Ashley" story. She is well beyond her years in what she understands about life, and I'm not saying that she is this way in the normal "Toddlers and Tiaras" kind of way. She truly is intelligent and a thinker - and a stinker, if it comes down to it. She also has blonde hair (a rarity at our school) and a husky little voice with a bit of a lisp. Anyway, she and her brothers has been absent on Monday, but her teacher stopped by to explain that she was back that day, Tuesday, and that she was being grounded for quite awhile to come. I asked why this was relevant, but I should have known, it was simply an excuse to tell me of Ashley's most recent adventure. Apparently (thank you Becky for the word) Ashley is grounded for driving her mom's car in reverse. I didn't get the full details until I asked her older brother about it. He is also extremely intelligent, but in a lot less cute way than his sister. He informed me that, yes, Ashley had driven their mom's car in reverse, and their mother had come unglued because they could have been sued. I asked if the car had hit anything. He said that it had not, but that they were lucky. I asked if Ashley had also driven the car forward, he said, "No, just in reverse, and the car died before it hit anything, my mom's car dies when it is in reverse." 


Last week I had to do something I rarely do. I sent a child back to his regular classroom. I take pride in having good behavior in my groups, my kids know what to expect. And they really do their best to please me as far as behavior, but I'd had it with this one little guy. So back to his teacher he went. I excused myself to the other students who were sitting at my teaching table, telling them I was sorry but that their classmate wasn't behaving. One little boy said,"Oh, was he pissing you off?" I said that indeed he was, but that was not a term we should use at school. A little girl pipes up and says, "Yeah, those words are only for moms." Now I know.


No comments: