Monday, August 22, 2011

Yogurt Pancakes

A few years ago my Mom mentioned that she had been whipping up a batch of yogurt pancakes to eat in the mornings. I was skeptical. Yogurt - pancakes? Weird. I mean we grew up eating all sorts of unusual stuff. Or at least it was unusual when I was a kid. Stuff like cracked wheat cereal. Goat's milk. Tofu. You just didn't see those kind of things much where and when I grew up.

But after she'd talked about these pancakes, I decided to give them a try, they are really good. As an added incentive, they smell like you're cooking up a batch of waffle cones. Yum! And they're eggy and sweet. Lighter than regular pancakes.

I made up a batch last night to see us through this first week of school. Basically I cook them, let them cool, and then slip them between squares of waxed paper, and finally put them in a big zippered freezer bag to pull out a couple at a time and microwave in the morning for S.'s breakfasts.

Here is the recipe . . .

Ingredients:

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
2 large eggs
1 c yogurt - use vanilla or plain yogurt
1 t vanilla

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add wet ingredients. Mix, but leave a bit lumpy. Let batter stand at least five minutes. Heat pan or skillet, coat pan with a little butter. Cook as you would regular pancakes.

No comments: