Sunday, February 20, 2011

Home!

I didn't exactly want to advertise this, but my dear hubs was away last week. He spent from last Sunday to this past Friday in Portland at a training. Something about virtual servers or something. Bless him, he's so smart. I can't understand a 10th of what he tells me he's working on. He flatters me enormously when we're talking and he says things like, "well, I had to boot into something, something, and reconfigure something something before I rerouted traffic somewhere somewhere, blah blah blah." He's so sweet to think I understand. He gives me waaaay more credit than he should. Mostly I just like watching his face when he's explaining something to me. Most of what he says goes in one ear and out the other. As must what I say to him about phonemes and writing prompts. I think we're good together that way. Neither of us truly has a heart for what the other does, but we pretend to be interested for the other's sake. That's probably one of the biggest lessons I've learned about marriage.

Anyway, he was gone. S. and I moped around. Cried through a trip to Wal-mart. Skyped with him every night. We just aren't the same when he's gone. I cannot tell you how glad I am that he is back. I know some wives would be glad for the break. I was not. I missed him like I would miss my right arm. I worried and fretted. The house seemed to know he was gone. So we thought he would come home Friday - late. He totally surprised us when he showed up in time for dinner. My nagging him to get to the airport as early as he could paid off. He got on an earlier flight and made it home about 5 hours earlier. I tried to get S. to do a happy dance when he emailed the news, but she looked at me in that pre-teen kind of way, and told me "yeah, you'll have to do the happy dance by yourself, Mom." Oh well. Dancing middle aged ladies are not her cup of tea.

My best friend is home. All is right in the world. At least for me.


No comments: