While in Portland, before we headed for the coast, we ate at
Montage; a great restaurant located underneath the Morrison Bridge. We had brunch. C. had chicken fried steak with Cajun Gravy. S. had their French Toast - which is leftover bread pudding sliced, topped with seasonal fruit (raspberries) and served with syrup and creme anglaise. I had an omelette with Gruyere cheese, ham, and caramelized fennel. The whole thing was a-mazing, and I know because I tried something off all of our plates. As is usual after a meal like this, I come home and try to find a way to make something very nearly like it. Apparently they are famous for their mac and cheese. We can't verify because we were there for brunch. But rumor has it that the sauces they use are pretty much the same thing: heavy cream with additions. The only recipe I was able to find was for their "Old Mac" (thank you FoodNetwork.com) and I decided that tonight, with our near 100 degree heat, was the perfect time to try to make it. It was darned good. Here's the recipe:
4 oz. heavy cream
1 tsp. garlic, minced
12 oz. cooked elbow macaroni
pinch salt
pinch white pepper
2 T. shredded parmesan cheese
pinch paprika, for color
Pour heavy cream into heated saute pan
add garlic
reduce by about 1/3
toss in pasta
add white pepper and salt
heat until hot
Remove to bowl or plate, top with shredded parmesan, sprinkle with paprika.
Plan on a couple of breath mints afterward.
1 comment:
Everybody loves Mac and cheese, and if they don't, then they should. Thanks for a recipe that sounds delicious and doesn't seem to have too many ingredients.
Post a Comment