Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Whaaaat???

I just read on CNN that there is an issue brewing (no pun intended) in NYC about people bringing their babies and young children to bars. I just have to say, "wait, back up a minute, what the heck?"

I am not familiar with the liquor laws in New York State, but I have always been under the impression that those "NO MINORS" signs posted on liquor establishments meant that if you are under the age of 21, you were not permitted to enter. Did I read the signs wrong? Because if I did, I would have had a legal leg to stand on had I been caught sneaking into bars when I was under age. Don't worry Mom and Dad, it was only a couple of times. And it was on a dare. Yeah, right, on a dare.

Seriously though, why? Why would you WANT to take your child to a bar. Unless you are serious about prepping them for their college Beer Olympics, why would this even be something you would think about? I guess what I'm saying is that people who choose to drink (and I am not one of them) should probably have a place to do so out of the eye of little children and babies. And while I understand that in much of the rest of the world there are pubs and those are the kind of places where families are welcome, we do not do that in America. We have chosen the Puritanical path. Which is to say that when we decide to get stumbling drunk, we have places reserved for that. We don't involve the whole family - usually. That comes in at the holidays, when Uncle Irv decides to tie on on over the Turkey and the rest of the family suffers for it. In our country we do not usually view drinking as a harmless past time. People usually do not want to go out and hang out at a neighborhood joint, have a reasonable amount of alcohol, a hearty meal and then play cribbage with the family or join the Irish trio tooting away on a small stage. People here do things differently. Not the best way probably, but differently.

Please just leave your babies at home when you decide to go to the bar. Or at least have the good sense to make them carry a fake ID and wear a faux mustache. Okay? Okay.

No comments: