I'm am NOT tooting my own horn here, but I wanted to get these lyrics down somewhere in case I ever lose the papers.
This past year I had the great honor (and I do mean honor) to teach our first grade students writing. It was the most rewarding thing I've done since I started working at my school, and I just loved it. If you ever need to feel better about life, hang around a bunch of 1st graders, they will fix you right up. Except, you won't have the pleasure of working with MY kids, and they are the very best. But you'll come close.
At the end of this school year, I had my little groups (3 groups) of about 6-7 kids come by my room to deliver these beautiful posters. Illustrated, and each containing a song made up by their group about the memorable things we did in writing this year. The first group came by and they held their posters up and sang me their song. I just lost it. Their sweet little faces, their sweet little voices, ah, man, they just nearly about did me in. They were a little confused as to why I was crying, but I assured them that the tears were happy ones, except I was a little sad to not see them over the summer.
Here's the verse from Group 1 (to the tune of My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean).
Ms. J. she does matching puzzles
Ms. J she taught us to write
We painted animals that bite
Oh, Ms. J. you're so nice to me!
Thank you, Thank you,
Thank you Ms. J. from me!
Then another group and their sweet little song (same tune)
Ms. J. has taught us about writing
Ms. J. has taught us about Gak (and bats)
Ms. J. she loves us so much
Oh, Ms. J. she is so exciting
Thank you, Thank you
Thank you Ms. J. from me!
The third group did not come to my room, but ambushed me when they told me they needed me in their regular classroom because they had a slight emergency. I saw them starting to sing and had to stop them because I needed to grab the Kleenex box. One little guy from a previous group said, "Don't worry she's going to start the waterworks, but she says it is a happy cry."
(And again, same tune)
Ms. J. she taught us to make books.
Ms. J. she taught us new words
With Ms. J. we did research projects
Oh she's so much fun, and she cooks!
Thank you, Thank you
Thank you for teaching us!
Oh man, I'm just crying all over again. I absolutely love these sweet little souls. They are certainly (as one author said) angels on loan.
1 comment:
I hope the administrators know how lucky they are to have you.What a wonderful tribute to you. Love,
Mom
Post a Comment