Thursday, March 21, 2013

1st Grade

This week has been, well, a week. I'm exhausted. The time change, people! What gives? Could we please stop that? Why, why, why? D.V. Hudson, the man responsible for modern use of DST has just a heck of a lot to answer for. Let's just stay on DST all year. Many countries do. Leave our sleep patterns alone!

I was so tired I bunged up my car. Tore the cowling from around the front wheel clean off. Ruined the front bumper beyond simple repair, and utterly destroyed an air intake box under the wheel. A bad angle into the drive + manor stones + my exhausted brain = well, over a thousand dollars of repair work. Not my best moment. C. however, was pretty calm about it. He did mention being thankful it was only our own car involved. 

Broke several dishes. Yep. shattered. Inside the dishwasher. Greeeat!

I have been super cranky at work. I'm sure the kids are wondering who this she-devil who appeared as their teacher this week, is. 

Public Television is having pledge. The indignity! How much can a person bear all in one week? Celtic Thunder? Why, why, why?

General worries. Family worries. I just don't know what to do to help. I'm on edge.

The only saving grace is 1st grade. Really. They have been particularly hilarious this week.

I had to report one little guy to his teacher the other day. He was up about 9 times during breakfast (oh joy, I help monitor breakfast) and I was about to velcro him to his seat (except that would be illegal, so pretend I didn't say that). So his teacher said, "So-and-So, you were up that many times during breakfast?" He said, "Well I had to go to the bathroom twice." His teacher says, "So-and-So, really? Twice? Come on. No one needs to go to the bathroom twice in one short time." He said, "Well I did so. I had to go back the second time because I didn't wipe well enough the first time."

Same little precocious pooper cracks me up again during writing. We are writing recipes to teach the kids how to write clear directions. The kids were allowed to choose their recipe. They have been, well, interesting. Cake with red licorice. Cinnamon candy involving eggs. Baking times of one minute. Hilarious! Anyway. One little guy was brainstorming, thinking of the ingredients you might use in chocolate chip cookies. He was listing: eggs, sugar, frosting, when So-and-So interrupts his stream of consciousness. "Well, you can go ahead and put all those things in your recipe, well, if you want to grow up to be fat, fat, fat. And huge and fat. Me, I'm going to make something healthy. Like cake."

At least there weren't any naked, androgynous angels this time around.

But man, I need a nap!



No comments: