Monday, November 12, 2012
Veteran's Day
Each year on Veteran's Day, I am in awe of those who gave their lives for my freedoms. With four brothers coming of age during different points of conflict in our country, I have to admit feeling terrified of a draft situation. I thought of my sweet little brothers, and worried. It was extremely selfish, for there are so many people out there who sacrifice daughters and sons and husbands and loved ones to protect the land I love, and the security and freedom I take for granted pretty much daily.
We do have a history of military service in my family. My grandpa's older brother was in Germany when the troops liberated concentration camps. My grandma's brothers both served. And way, way back, during the Civil War, members of my family answered the call to serve.
Orasmus David Rhodes was born in Washington, NY on October 27th, 1817. He enlisted in the Union Army on August 19, 1862 at Fort Snelling, MN and was attached to the Ninth Infantry of Minnesota. He was wounded and captured at Brice's Cross Roads, Tishamingo Creek, near Gun Town June 10th, 1864. He was a prisoner at Andersonville. On September 2, 1864, when Sherman's Union Forces occupied Atlanta, he was moved to Millen, GA. He died October 7th, 1864 of scurvy. He was buried at Millen, GA until February 1888 when all 960 bodies were removed and taken to the National Cemetery at Beaufort, SC for final interment.
Orasmus Rhodes married Mariah Hunter on October 6th, 1844 in Cylmer, Chautauquau, NY. His daughter, Amelia Jennette Rhodes married Cereal King, they later divorced. Their son, Guy Clifford King was the grandfather of my grandfather, Clifford.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You know so much. I didn't know any of this!
Post a Comment