Monday, February 27, 2012

Taco Bowls

Raise your hand if you have tacos for dinner at least once a week at your house. Let's face it, they're easy, pretty inexpensive, and, did I mention, easy? Honestly, they're a no-brainer as far as what to fix for dinner at our house. But I get mighty tired of eating taco dinner once a week. So, sometimes I make taco salad. Not a huge difference, admittedly, but any little bit helps break up the monotony. I decided tonight that while I'd still be frying ground beef, grating cheese, and heating re-fried beans, I'd making taco bowls as well. Ah, the powers of the internet, what ever did home cooks do before Google? Here's how:


Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Wrap an empty food can (why my can emptied and cleaned of refried beans will do!) with aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet.


In a pie plate or other large, flat dish, mix warm water with a little olive oil. Or, if like me, you have just run out of olive oil, use regular vegetable oil. Just a few drops, I think the idea here is that the oil helps crisp the tortillas while cooking. Anyway, dip the tortilla into the water quickly, don't saturate, just get water on the whole thing, drain.


Flop, yes, that is a technical term. Flop the tortilla evenly over the foil wrapped can. Put it in the oven. Keep and eye on these, when they are crisp and hold their shape, they're done.


Pull out of the oven, gently remove from the can, repeat. You could, if you have a larger family, use more than one can and speed the process along exponentially.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Curtis said...

Can you see my raised hand? This is a wonderful idea. I never thought of it. Thanks for the tip. Love you, Mom