Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I have capitulated

When I first saw the commercials and previews and trailers for Downton Abbey I was not terribly interested. When I heard all the women in my family were glued to their television sets and anxiously awaiting a second season, I scoffed. I refused to be drawn in. I have no idea why. It was just a form of middle-aged rebellion or something like it. I flat-out refused to watch it. But hearing my mother and other ladies in my family talk about the show, I slowly began to develop a sneaking interest. Sunday nights would roll around, and the beautiful intro music would start, and I'd find myself on the couch - watching. Of course the show is well into the second season, so I was a little lost. But Monday I had an earache, and stayed home from work. The season one episodes just happen to be on Netflix, so I parked myself on the couch, climbed under some blankets, and loaded them into the instant queue. And watched nearly the entire first season back to back. I am deeply ashamed to admit this. To be fair to myself I imagine I thought I'd fall asleep and slumber off the earache, but I didn't. Instead I traveled back in time, felt a melancholy for an era I've never had much of an interest in except in regard to the Kate Greenaway-like tube-shaped dresses and sneaking fascination with old piles on windswept hills in England.

I'm hooked.

The best part of the entire show (besides Mary) is Maggie Smith, who plays the Dowager Countess. I saw this on another website the other day, and it is so hilarious.



No comments: