Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bless the child

I'm exhausted. I have no idea why. Actually I do. And I realize how bad this will sound, but I'm gonna say it anyway. I am tired because I have recently returned to work after Christmas Break. Back to days of waking at 6 am. Back to figuring out what to have for dinner after staff meetings where we discuss how to get children to behave. I'm lucky, I know.

So, I'm sitting here looking at blogs while C. and S. are racing Mario Cart and talking smack to one another. C. asks S. to please get the fresh batteries from the junk drawer. The battery on the laptop is quickly going dead. I ask S. to fetch me the cord. I'm not really paying attention. She hands me the cord, and says that both her dad and I owe her. I think she is going to continue and ask for money, which is the only reason she willingly does anyone a favor. (She's saving up for a miniature dachshund. Oh honey, hairless cats are sooo last week. Keep up will you?) And, jaded mom that I am, I don't realize that she's leaning in, her cheek in my face, and she says, "you owe me a smooch on the cheek."

Made me smile. Kid will still do errands for a kiss.

No comments: