Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Things Kids Say . . .

Whenever I get tired, or bummed out, or discouraged at work, I just have to have a few conversations with the kids. They always set me right.

I was at breakfast duty (easily the worst part of my day, imagine me against 309 kids eating breakfast - not very neatly or quietly) and one of our most precocious 2nd graders was bopping around. I ask him daily to stay seated, but he is social and has the need to move his little body nearly constantly. But this day I'd asked him several times to be seated, and it occurred to me that he'd not been his usual self for a couple of days. So I asked him what had changed. Why was he all of the sudden up and moving and talking.

Here goes:

Me: So, I notice you're back to your usual self? What was wrong?

Student: Well, I wasn't feeling well for a couple days, but now I feel better.

Me: Well, that's great, but I still expect you to sit down. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Student: Yeah, I was feeling pretty bad. But you know, I think it was because I hadn't had a poop for awhile.

Me: Yep, that sometimes makes you feel icky. Please go sit down.

Student: But, teacher, wait! I was having a poop, and it wasn't logs, just the soupy stuff.

Me: Oh, really? Well, I'm glad you got that settled. Please go sit down,

Student: But, teacher, wait! So I was having a poop, and I was sitting there, and I just kind of let it all go, and, and, and, well, I just felt soooooo much better!

See? I feel better. He feels better. It was a win-win.


1 comment:

Curtis said...

Out of the mouths of babes!