Thursday, January 30, 2014

Grumpy or Setting Boundaries

I'm trying to figure something out.

When you outline your boundaries, and someone disregards, or steps over them, do you have the right to make your disappointment known?

What about in a work-related setting? Is it ok to let folks know that they have done something that may be an inconvenience to you? Or do you have to "suck it up" and take it? What if you've been asking for your deadline to have been met for weeks?

I won't go into it too much here, but today was a doozy. Many factors, but the most frustrating was that I stipulated a deadline, it wasn't met, and it caused me a lot of hassle. Even to the point of having to call on a family member to help with S. And then to call on other people in the district that had not planned on helping with this issue today, I'm sure.

I wasn't mean. But I wasn't apologetic, either. When things looked like they were not going to work as planned - I simply said that this is why I would have preferred that my deadline had been met. That it would have  been a lot easier to troubleshoot if it had. That was it.

I did mention it to a couple of colleagues I'm close with - venting frustration so I wouldn't yell at someone. And I told my boss that things might not go as planned because I felt she needed to know that it wasn't for lack of planning or trying to find a solution on my part.

Is that unprofessional? I don't know. I feel bad. I don't know why. I guess I'd like to be more flexible when things go wrong. The thing is, I'm not. I'm hard on myself, and I am hard on other people when I feel they don't take things as seriously as I do. Is this unreasonable? Life happens right?


No comments: