Monday, September 30, 2013

Things Kids Say

Kids say the funniest things.

Last week the 2nd grade was working on asking thick and thin questions. Thin questions are questions you can ask and answer just by looking at something. "Who is the author of this book?" would be a thin question. Thick questions take a bit more research. "Do sharks really have to keep moving or die?" would be a thick question, you're going to have to go looking for the answer.

We are studying sharks. And we asked the kids to come up with 2 thin questions from a diagram on the board. And then come up with 3 thick questions. The kids are in groups of two. One Spanish speaking student, one English speaking. I walked by a group with two very precocious students.

Little boy (English speaker): I've always wondered if sharks are cannibals. I think they are cannibals.

Little girl (Spanish speaker): What do you mean by "cannibal"?

Little boy: Well, a cannibal is something that eats its own kind.

Little girl: I still don't understand what you mean.

Little boy: Well, if I were a cannibal then I might eat you!


No comments: