Sunday, August 18, 2013

Fancy Sunday

Sunday is our family day for eating well. Not that we don't eat well other days of the week, but Sundays are kind of a day where C. and I both do some cooking, and maybe try something a little out of the ordinary. During the school year, it is sort of a "we've got to get back to work, let's have a last hurrah."

Tonight we had a really excellent dinner.

Our grocery store had a huuuuge package of pork chops on sale for like $5.00.

Have you ever grilled a pork chop on the bbq? If not, you should. I don't even like pork chops all that much, but on the grill? Oh my gosh! Try it next time.

We've got tomatoes coming on in the garden, finally. I planted, oh heck, I can't even remember what I planted. But I wanted some tomatoes for dinner and one little plant had some very small (not cherry tomatoes) fruit on it. I picked them, brought them inside, washed, then cut them into 1/4s. I put them in a pie plate, drizzled them with olive oil, a little salt and pepper, mashed a clove of garlic and sprinkled that around them. Then I headed back out to the garden, picked several leave of basil, brought that in, washed them, and the did a fine chiffonade and sprinkled that over the whole thing. Roasted them in the oven at about 375 for quite a long time. They basically held their shape when left alone, but when the fork touched them, they fell apart. C. said they were like the best katsup he's ever tasted. And this is from a guy who hates tomatoes normally.

Teeny-Tiny Yukon Gold potatoes. Slice these in half, put on a sheet of tin foil, salt, pepper, olive oil, and a few little pieces of butter. Fold another piece of tinfoil over the top to form a packet. Put on the grill. These are incredible if you let them brown a little inside the packet. They come out dressed in the olive oil and butter and need nothing else!

We also baked some kale. Now, I'm not a huge fan of kale in its raw state, but baked? Yep. Amazing!
Wash and remove large stem pieces. Roughly chop. Throw it on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic salt. Put it in the oven at 375 for, well until it is brown and crackly. The stuff is like the best chip you've ever had in your life!

I also made some banana bread from some poor, sorry-looking bananas we had. So that was dessert.

I'm getting to like Sundays really well.


No comments: