Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful

I have so many reasons to be thankful. Here are a few:

My family - both sides, all sides, they drive me nuts, but they also put up with my craziness. My siblings. Sharing a bathroom and constructing poorly designed tree-forts taught me that creativity, imagination, and humor are all necessary things in your later life. Thank you for letting me boss you around. To my family I married into, thanks for keeping me even when I didn't deserve it. My parents, thanks for showing me that it always can be done, even when you've been knocked down repeatedly.

My husband and daughter. I love them both beyond measure. My husband who provides so much for us and (rarely) complains. My sweet, creative, healthy, kind daughter. She is the light of our lives. My husband who puts up with that strange "King Woman" gene that takes over and renders me slightly crazy at times.

I have a roof over my head. Granted, that roof needs to be replaced soon, but I have the opportunity to do that and more with this little home we gratefully inhabit.

My work/job. How rewarding to do what I get to do. I need to do a better job ignoring the politics and just focus on what matters - the kids. I get to laugh at least once each day because, let's face it, kids are funny. They give me way more than I could ever give them. What a gift.

Good food. I've never truly been hungry. For that I am constantly grateful. And also for my upbringing, a mom who made wonderful, healthy food and a family that valued good cheeses. And lots of butter. For the knowledge that homemade (with very rare exception) is better than anything you could ever buy in a store. And lots of butter.

Those who came before me. Family and strangers who made my life what it is today. From the intrepid ancestors who risked everything to come to this land and set in motion a life for their descendants that is much more than they could have ever ever dreamed. Those who fought for my freedoms. Thank you. The countless people I've come in contact with that have added to the fabric of who I am.

My grandparents. Though this might safely sit in the category above, they deserve their own mention. My grandfather who worked so very hard. And taught me to work hard. He also taught me to look for answers, which is perhaps his most lasting legacy. To value knowledge, however it happens to find me, or I it. For my grandmother who taught me tenacity, how to love fiercely, and to question everything - even the Episcopalians. To them both for the small life lessons they had no idea they were teaching. How to make good food. How to mark your name in your garden tools. How to paint a room. How not to mortgage your tomorrows for today. To be safe, honest, hardworking.






No comments: